Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Kobe Bryant 'Call of Duty' ad



Any outrage about the Kobe Bryant ad is nuts. They can complain all they want, but it can’t change the fact that the ad is basically the reason that I bought the game. I can’t think of a more out of touch person than Skip Bayless, who I loathe so much that he makes me like Kobe. And I confess not hating Kobe as much as I used to now that David Stern has ripped my basketball loving heart out. But that is another story. This is about how we live in a gun loving culture, at least in through our media, and suddenly we are up in arms about Kobe in a video game commercial wielding a gun? Should Shaw be suspended for his guns in ‘Steel’? I mean, he should, but not because of the guns in the movie. Or what about the NBA preview in ESPN pairing them up with comic book characters? Clint Barton is a abuser of women, Wolverine kills around 17 people per issue he is in, Bullseye is an assassin, Weapon X is a torture program, and Deadpool ate somebody once. I know comic book imagery isn’t the same as Kobe holding a gun, but the key message is the same and that is the NBA believes its fans can differentiate between what is real and what isn’t. I don’t know if it is completely true based on some of the Kobe reactions I’ve seen (ESPN video below), but I think generally people don’t give a shit and think the ad is damned good and sells a damned good product. Skip Bayless saying that the ad is bad because the US is involved in a war and soldiers are over seas shows that he really has no idea what is going on in the world and that he should get off my TV and back to the commercials.

No comments:

The Reviews